Walking In The Light

Affordable Christian Website Design: www.webdesign4him.com

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Search for your favorite blog or add yours to the directory by clicking on My Blog Directory below.

My Blog Directory

Friday, February 03, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

My wife and I have been watching the Academy Awards together for 13 years now, but I'm not sure we will be watching this year. I can't believe that Brokeback Mountain has received 8 nominations for an Oscar! What is this world coming to? I have not seen the movie, nor do I intend to waste my money on a film about two gay cowboys!

The Bible tells us that homosexuality is sinful (Lev. 18:22, 20:13; Rom. 1:26-27; 1 Cor.6:9-11). Have we become so used to the gay lifestyle that it is okay now to support a movie like this that features graphic gay sex scenes? The film promotes adultery and a sinful lifestyle. To see it and support it would be a compromise of my Christian values.

I am very disappointed that this film has received so much recognition and award nominations. I would like to hear what other people think about this. Please leave a comment.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

I'm always amazed when people make judgments on a movie then admit they have not seen it. I have seen Brokeback Mountain, and I don't think it was as good as all the hype it got, but I do know people who went back three times because they thought it was so well done.

I must have blinked when the "graphic sex scene" happened. The only thing I saw was the darkly lit naked upper back of one of the men while they were obviously simulating sex. Nothing too graphic for my eyes.

I do know people who struggle with their affections like those two men did. It seems reasonable to me that two people of the same gender could fall deeply in love with each other. I also believe it is unChristian to judge others like them who, after all, are fellow children of God, and whom God loves unconditionally just as he loves all of his creatures.

I also believe that as Christians we must read both the Old Testament and the letters of St. Paul through a filter. That filter is the eyes of Christ. Jesus went to their homes and had dinner with sinners and tax collectors whenever he could, and of course he was scorned by his disciples for hanging around with people like that. But I think he was trying to set an example for us.

So I tend to fall on the side of compassion rather than judgment. I truly believe that's the most Christian approach.

 
At 11:02 PM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

I almost forgot, I don't think these kinds of films "promote" sin or gay lifestyles. I think they are simply portraying aspects of real life that we have to recognize, face into whether we want to or not, reflect upon, and figure out how they fit into the greater scheme of things. We all struggle with demons of some kind or other in our lives. We all spend life trying to integrate our true selves into the expectations others place on us (society, religion, family).

Okay, that's it. Amen!

 
At 3:22 PM, February 04, 2006, Blogger the bloke said...

I agree with Dave's comments. You might be interested in reading a recent post I wrote on this issue: The Molehill that is Brokeback Mountain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home