Walking In The Light

Affordable Christian Website Design: www.webdesign4him.com

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Search for your favorite blog or add yours to the directory by clicking on My Blog Directory below.

My Blog Directory

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Book of Daniel

NBC has a new TV show that started Friday, Jan. 6th, called "The Book of Daniel". It is a pretty controversial series about a pill-popping, unconventional priest with a very messed up, dysfunctional family! Daniel is not only able to see Jesus but he also talks with Him and asks him for advise about all kinds of situations.

There are more sub-plots and story lines going on then you can keep up with. The series strikes a nerve of Christians because of the way it mockingly portrays Jesus as a wimpy character. Christ is shown to give flippant answers to Daniel's questions about serious moral issues.

The show has everything from drug abuse, homosexuality, and premarital sex, to stealing money from the church. A snapshot of the world we live in today? Perhaps.

I don't doubt that there are priests who have problems nor do I pretend to be unaware of the plethora of moral issues we have going on all around us. However, I do take offense to the way that Christ is depicted in this show. What would Jesus do if he were here now? I'm sure He wouldn't say things like, "He's a kid, let him be a kid", when asked about a teenager's sexual escapades!

I would like to hear what you think about the show. Please leave a comment and share your thoughts. My opinion is...NBC should cancel this show, although I'm sure they are getting tons of publicity from the controversy and therfore will let it air for a while. However, they did introduce this as a "limited series"!

5 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, January 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think they should cancel the show,but then again it doesn't surprise me if they don't,they will air anything nowadays for$$$$

 
At 7:26 PM, January 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way,thanks for accepting my site.

 
At 9:37 AM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't catch it but I've gotta' say I miss Joan of Arcadia! I hardly ever watch TV but I would love to be able to catch Joan on a lazy Sunday night!
Peace..............

 
At 10:50 PM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that cancel the show. I have not, nor will I watch it. I am already affended without even watching a single show. My Pastor spoke about it and I did a little research. Honestly, it makes me a little sick in the tum-tum. I look at it this way, if there is all that going on and the priest having problems, it's not a Church of God. I know that is blunt. I find it offensive because 1, the way they protray Jesus, and 2, because that is not how Christians act. Yes, we have our problems but no, that is not the way it is. I hope people don't get the wrong impression about Christians. It just breaks my heart.

 
At 10:40 AM, February 01, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

I only saw the show once (I think it was only on twice), but I liked it very much. I thought it was very real. I have worked in ministry for the Church all my life. True, all the problems people have were compounded in one family, yet I was really attracted to the Jesus the show portrayed - totally understanding of human weakness and compassionate. And I believe that is precisely WHY Jesus became a human being - to show us that he understands what we have to go through in life; he certainly understands how nasty people can be to each other. He was God and so he was able to overcome human weakness in his life, but he knows what human temptation and weakness are like. He is far more forgiving and compassionate than anyone else I know.

It is when we are most vulnerable, like at rock bottom, that we are most open to and dependent upon God. That's where the priest was in this show. When a person is in full time ministry you want to pull your hair out much of the time because you have too many people coming at you with too many problems that you have no answer for.

For me The Books of Daniel was the ultimate reality show. I wish they would cancel these other so-called reality shows where people you don't like can be voted off the island and out of your life. That's not Christian because we ARE our brothers' keepers. We are here to help each in our need and weakness. People are not disposable, even when they have problems.

That's just my approach.

Dave Saintly Sinner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home